The City Commission finished closed-door interviews with city manager candidates Friday and Saturday and is moving forward on drawing up a contract offer.
About 60 people applied for the position, with four selected for in-person interviews, Mayor Tim Reazin previously said.
The commission, joined by search firm Raftelis executive Catherine Tuck Parrish, entered into executive session from 5-8:30 p.m. Friday and from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday to interview and discuss candidates.
The Times appeared at the start of both meeting times. On Friday night, the Times reporter was escorted to the basement of City Hall during the executive session interview time. On Saturday, the Times reporter was escorted to an office inside City Hall and later to sit outside City Hall while candidates were interviewing in the commission chambers.
Reazin said the chambers were not sound proof and interviews needed to remain confidential.
The city has not released who the final candidates are. Reazin previously said the interviews and resumes of the candidates will be closed to the public in order to protect the confidentiality of the candidates so their current positions are not put into jeopardy.
Following Saturday’s executive session, Reazin said the city’s attorney will now begin drawing up a contract before negotiations with their chosen finalist. The search firm will also complete a background check.
During the City Commission meeting on June 26, the commission will enter into executive session to begin negotiations with the city’s final selection.
Reach reporter Sara Maloney at [email protected]