The future of the district’s cellphone policy is among the items the School Board will discuss at its Thursday meeting.
During the superintendent’s report, the board will weigh in with thoughts about cellphone use in schools for next school year, Superintendent Stu Moeckel said.
This is a preliminary conversation to hear thoughts from board members and inquire if there is interest in creating a stricter policy. Any presentation on the matter will not happen for a while, Moeckel said.
Earlier this school year, the district said it would continue to stay with its current policy, although other districts across the nation are banning phones in schools.
The district’s current policies allows teachers some flexibility in the high school as to whether or not cellphones are allowed, but there is no outright ban in place in any part of the district.
The current district policies differ by building:
- The elementary school does not allow students to carry cellphones and other devices.
- The middle school requires students to keep their cellphones and other devices in backpacks or lockers during the school day, unless it is for academic use and the student has permission from their teacher.
- At the high school, individual teachers create their own policies for cellphone and device usage in their classroom.
The board will also discuss the progress of the free breakfast program, enrollment updates and bond construction.
The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the district office. The meeting is also available for live streaming on the district’s YouTube page.